DFA Cheese Recognized at Industry Contest
Six of Dairy Farmers of America’s (DFA) cheese products recently earned recognition at the 2012 National Milk Producers Federation (NMPF) Championship Cheese Contest in Orlando, Fla.
NMPF’s contest serves as a platform for cooperatives from across the country to showcase their top products and recognize the individuals who make them. The annual event was the first cheese competition that utilized grading standards to improve cheese quality, and to display such quality in a competitive forum. This year’s competition drew 176 entries, a record number.
“We are honored to be recognized among so many of the best of the dairy industry,” says Mark Korsmeyer, executive vice president of DFA and president of DFA’s Global Dairy Products Group (GDPG). “Our employees work hard every day to produce high-quality products, and this recognition validates their commitment and dedication.”
Awards were presented for the following products:
· First Place, Soft Italian — DFA Mozzarella, New Wilmington, Pa.
· First Place, Open Class — La Vaquita Queso Panela, Houston, Texas
· Second Place, Soft Italian — DFA Provolone, New Wilmington, Pa.
· Second Place, Processed American Flavor — DFA White American Loaf with Pepper, West Middlesex, Pa.
· Third Place, Processed American Plain — DFA White American Loaf,
West Middlesex, Pa.
· Third Place, Open Class — La Vaquita Queso Fresco Mexicano, Houston, Texas
Through GDPG, DFA produces retail cheese and butter, foodservice cheese and butter and a wide range of dairy protein ingredients. The Cooperative’s consumer brands include Borden® Cheese and Butter, Keller’s® Butter, Plugrá® Butter and Cache Valley® Cheese, among others. GDPG also is a leading contract manufacturer of shelf-stable products for national and international food companies.